IP Externships & Jobs
This list is regularly updated with externship and job opportunities. If you know of an opportunity that is not listed or would like to craft an externship opportunity or other career-related opportunity that is unique to your interests, please reach out to Felicia Caponigri, Program Director, at email@example.com.
For specific information on externships, including the application process, click here. (For Current Students only.)
South Bend/On Campus
- Notre Dame General Counsel’s Office
- NIBCO, Inc.
- Thor Industries, Inc.
- Bradley Company
- Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- National Association of Realtors
- Smithsonian, Office of the General Counsel
- Library of Congress
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Legislative Committees: Indian Affairs; Small Business and Entrepreneurship; House Committees: Science, Space and Technology; Small Business Joint Committees: Joint Committee on the Library; Joint Economic Committee
- Cleveland Scott York
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garret & Dunner
- Youth Business International
Recurring Summer Opportunities
- The Loyola Patent Interview Program is a two-day interview program held in Chicago each summer that brings together patent law employers and law students from across the country to interview for summer associate positions and post-graduate employment. The 2020 Patent Law Interview Program will be held fully virtually on January 14-15, 2021. The registration period reopens on August 27.
- The Southeastern Intellectual Property Job Fair is an intellectual property job fair run by the Georgia Intellectual Property Alliance. The employers who participate predominantly have Atlanta offices, but many other markets are increasingly represented. The 2020 fair will be held virtually on Tuesday, July 28. Student registration deadline has passed.
- Through the Dublin Honor Scholars Program five students (rising 2Ls) intern with Irish law firms in Dublin. All of these law firms have IP or technology law practice groups, and the presence of U.S. tech companies in Dublin makes it a particularly great location to pursue privacy law. Participating law firms include William Fry, A&L Goodbody, Whitney Moore, Mason Hayes & Curran, and Philip Lee. The application will open on December 1, 2020. Please see IrishLink.
- Through the Hamburg Honor Scholars Program five students (rising 2Ls and 3Ls) participate in summer programs at Bucerius Law School in Germany. Two of the programs have an IP and tech focus: Licensing Transactions in Intellectual Property and Legal Technology and Operations. The application will open on December 1, 2020. Please see IrishLink.
AbbVie is hiring a 1L intern for a paid 1L internship position in their patent law department. Candidates should ideally be 1L students with a demonstrated interest in and support of diversity and inclusion and an interest in patent law (with preference given to students with science or engineering degrees). The deadline to apply is January 18, 2021.
For recent graduates and 3Ls:
The U.S. Copyright Office has opened applications for the Barbara A. Ringer Copyright Honors Program. See further details and the application here. More information on this great eighteen- to twenty-four months opportunity "created for attorneys in the initial stages of their careers who demonstrate exceptional ability and interest in copyright law" is available on the Barbara A. Ringer Copyright Honors Program website.
Continue to check USAJobs for positions at the USPTO.